Cheers to a new year! Here is our not so traditional take on New Year's Day black eyed peas. Eating your peas on the first day of the year is a fun tradition to start with the kiddos but these little guys are also packed with fiber, vitamin k, vitamin b, vitamin a, and potassium. Add some Sneaky Greens to the mix and this is a delicious (cheesy) and healthy (sneaking black eyed peas, kale, and mustard greens into one dish!) way to start the year off right.
Use organic ingredients if possible. Add to a stand mixer in this order on low speed.
- One 8oz. package of cream cheese
- One egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- One 7oz. can of green chilies, chopped
- 1/8 cup cilantro (if cilantro isn't your favorite, you can substitute spinach)
- Two cans or two pints of cooked, drained black eyed peas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
Now it's time to add the Sneaky Green (SG) seasonings:
- 1/2 tsp. SG Organic Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. SG Organic Onion
- 1 tsp. SG Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 tsp. SG Organic Pepper
Pour mixer contents into your favorite casserole dish and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If desired, you can garnish this with some fresh cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and veggies.